How to play PC games on Switch and how to run other homebrew games as well. There are 2 possibilities when it comes to what someone would consider playing pc games on a Nintendo Switch – there’s physically playing a game and there’s streaming from your PC to your Switch. You’ll be able use emulators to play some of the greatest games ever made for PC as well as stream games from PC to Switch by the end of this guide. I’m going to keep things as simple as possible to follow, so let’s get started.
This guide is focused on the latest current Switch firmware which is version 8.0.0 or 8.0.1. If you are on an earlier firmware version, please see the article: How to Hack/Jailbreak Nintendo Switch
Next we need to see if your Switch can be modified. Please check the following link to see if your Switch has been patched or not.
If everything is fine, then we’re ready to start.
Stage 1: Install a Custom Firmware
RCM Jig: https://amzn.to/2WhVAWe (recommended)
or Paper Clip Jig: https://gbatemp.net/threads/paperclip-rcm-jig.502087/
Good Quality SD Card: https://amzn.to/2WkgHr0
SD Card Reader: https://amzn.to/2Xzoeny
USB Type-C Cable: https://amzn.to/2EV1R4o
Install Custom Firmware:
- Download the TegraRCM software from the first link
- Download Atmosphere and fusee-primary.bin from the second link
- Extract the zipped Atmosphere directories onto your desktop
- Plug in your SD Card
- Copy the 3 unzipped folders from Atmosphere your blank SD Card
- Now safely eject your SD Card
- Insert your RCM Jig into the right controller port of your Switch
- Make sure your Switch is turned off
- Hold the Volume Up button and press the Power button once
- The screen will remain black (this is normal)
- Connect your Switch to your PC with the USB Type-C cable
- Run the TegraRCM software that you downloaded in Step 1
- Wait until the software shows “RCM OK” in the bottom lefthand corner
- In the “Select payload” field, find and choose fusee-primary.bin (which you downloaded in Step 2)
- Click “Inject payload”
- Wait until you see the confirmation “Payload injected”
- Safely remove your SD card from you PC and insert it into your Switch
- Go to System Settings -> System and check that after your Current version 8.0.x, it says (AMS x.x.x) to confirm that your custom firmware is installed
Stage 1: Install a Custom Firmware (Alternative Method)
If you would prefer to have multiple custom firmwares available for your Switch, then may want to consider purchasing a RCM Loader. For more information on how they work, check out this uploader’s useful video:
Stage 2: HB Menu and Appstore Installation
Install HBMenu and Appstore
- Download both files from links above
- Extract them to your desktop
- Insert your SD Card into your PC
- Copy “hbmenu” file and “switch” folder to the root of your SD Card (overwrite/merge if necessary)
- Safely remove SD Card from PC and insert into your Switch (currently off)
- Insert your RCM Jig and turn your Switch on
- Ensure that you are connected to the internet
- Go to Album, hold down the R button (Right Trigger) and press A
- You will now enter the Homebrew Menu (HBMenu)
- Choose Homebrew App Store using the A button
- Wait a few seconds for it to load and the Appstore is now installed!
You are now already able to download from a multitude of emulators available on the Appstore. RetroArch, ScummVM and even Playstation emulators are available, as well as many other useful tools.
You are also able to start streaming PC games to Switch by downloading the app called In-Home-Switching from the Appstore.